George Matheis, Jr. of Modern Combative Systems helps train the police and the military in basic survival skills. He’s made this specialty his life’s work and he has the experience and knowledge to help you prepare for almost any emergency. While it is impossible to be ready for every possibility, you can be ready for many different scenarios where normal public services and infrastructure are not functioning. George doesn’t believe you need to become and extreme prepper to survive most emergencies but having a sensible and well thought out plan will go a long way towards protecting you, your loved ones and your community from these regularly occurring disasters.
You can find his list for essential survival items below. According to George, these are must-haves during periods where either natural or manmade disasters are occurring. Surprisingly, the top items on George’s list have little to do with self defense. Rather, they deal with providing you with enough water and nutrition to get through supply disruptions that have occurred in places like Japan, Miami and New Orleans in the aftermath of extraordinary natural events.
Sign up (on the right side) for the instant free Financial Survival Toolkit and free weekly newsletter.
George’s list of things you should have with you whenever you leave the house:
- Stainless Steel water bottle (to boil water and soup/ramen in)
- Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter
- Headlamp (that runs on AAs)
- Leatherman Mulit-Tool
- First Aid Kit (that includes 72 hrs of personal OTC and RX meds)
- Baby wipes
- Lightweight Rain Jacket (keeps you dry and can be used to layer to keep warm, should be considered your first line of shelter)
- Eye Protection (your sunglasses should be OK)
- Gloves (I prefer Mechanix) during any emergency situation there are going to lots of things that you can cut or burn your hands on, you have to protect your hands
- Food (that is high in protein and fat, I prefer Almonds and Beef Jerky)